Monday, February 1, 2010

My Dream in the Year of the Tiger

My dream in the Year of the Tiger is to run The Terry Fox Run in Canada.




This post is actually an entry for THE TIGER RUN organised by Nuffnang & Tiger Beer. For more info, please click HERE.



The Terry Fox Run is run around the world every year to raise money for cancer research. It is non-competitive with no winners or awards, just people joining to raise money for cancer research.

We even have on in Kuala Lumpur. But my dream is to run it in Canada, where it all started - The Marathon of Hope.



Now, who is this Terry Fox fellow, you might ask.

Terrance Stanley "Terry" Fox, CC (July 28, 1958 – June 28, 1981) was a Canadian humanitarian, athlete, and cancer treatment activist.

He became famous for the Marathon of Hope, a cross-Canada run to raise money for cancer research, which Fox ran with one prosthetic leg.



He is considered one of Canada's greatest heroes and is celebrated internationally every September as people participate in the Terry Fox Run, the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research.



After 18 months and running over 5,000 kilometres (3,107 miles) to prepare, Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980 with little fanfare.

Although it was difficult to garner attention in the beginning, enthusiasm soon grew, and the money collected along his route began to mount. He ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day through Canada's Atlantic provinces, Quebec and Ontario.

However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. An entire Canada was stunned and saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at the age 22.

The heroic Canadian was gone, but his legacy was just beginning.

To date, more than $400 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name through the annual Terry Fox Run, held across Canada and around the world.



Terry Fox's story has inspired millions of people in this world. I am also one of them. I have always been a supporter for Terry Fox Run.

My photo appeared in The Star newspapers, running in the KL Terry Fox Run in 2001. Since then, I have been supporting the run annually.



I have also roped in my colleagues and friends to join me in the Terry Fox run in Kuala Lumpur.



I see a ferocious TIGER in the FOX. :) Pun intended. Heheh!



Terry Fox's determination and fighting spirit can be compared to to that of a Tiger. He fought fearlessly for Cancer Research! He physically endured pain and suffering for a great cause. He inspired us with the example of the triumph of the human spirit over adversity.

I have the upmost admiration of Terry Fox. That is why I my dream in the Year of Tiger is to run The Terry Fox Run in Canada. It will be my tribute to him.

So, Tiger Beer and Nuffnang, please... please...please make my dream come true. :)

No comments: